Saturday 20 February 2016

Let meeee educate you!

I joined a few blogging Facebook groups to improve my skills on here, (hopefully), and asked for some feedback from them about this blog. Most of it was "I've never heard of it before", or "This is new to me" etc. In fact it was a real eye opener for them!
It prompted me to add a few new bits of info on here, as I've never really gone into much detail about it apart from at the very beginning when I first started writing this blog. I'm not going to bore you so don't run away, and apologies to any Anosmics/Parosmics who've heard it all before!

Really what I want to tell you about is the different forms of this condition that there are. If you've been reading my blog from the start you'll know about Anosmia and Parosmia, but there are also some more out there unfortunately.
Phantosmia - "smell perception with no external stimulus". This is easily confused with Parosmia as they are quite similar. There is one main difference however. Parosmia is distortion of a smell that is present. Whereas, Phantosmia is a smell hallucination, there is no smell actually there but the person concerned thinks they can smell something which is usually very unpleasant to them.
Hyposmia - this is a partial loss of smell.
Hyperosmia - this is when a person has a greater than average ability to smell and also taste.
Dysosmia - is thought to be Parosmia and Phantosmia combined as a general distortion in odour perception.
These are just a few lines about the condition, but I'll probably start adding the odd snippet to future blog posts as well, so if there is anything you would like to know please leave a comment. I am not saying I'm an expert on any of this but I want to educate myself more, and if there is something you want to know and I don't, I'll find out for you.

You may remember me saying in my last post that I intended to get into the real me mode so that's what I am trying to do now. It doesn't mean I'm not allowed to moan now and then though so be prepared for that occasionally!
However things are starting to look up, and what I'm about to tell you has certainly pointed me in the right direction. My friend Caroline came over yesterday afternoon and we had Nespresso coffee, which oddly enough is pleasant for me.  We also had some of those tiny amaretto biscuits, one of which I decided to try.  All I got was sweetness at first, then all of a sudden an almond like taste came through just at the end of eating it! I thought I'd imagined it so had another one and it was definitely there.....wow how good is that?  I haven't even told my Mum yet, so you guys are the privileged few, (well hopefully there's more than a few of you reading this!), who get to find out first!!
This is so exciting for me that I'm smiling as I write it, but I wanted to save the best for last which is why I've told you at the end of this post.  Keep your fingers crossed for me that this is the start of good things to come, rest assured you will be kept up to date!










21 comments:

  1. Right it is Amoreto biscuits for your birthday then !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right it is Amoreto biscuits for your birthday then !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The joys of life some take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I had no idea. Consider me educated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that it gave you an insight thank you for reading.

      Delete
  5. Debbie,
    I'm in the same boat. I think that I have had some very light taste of things too. I too hope it is the beginning of good things (good flavors) to come. It's been almost 1 year without. Good Luck! BTW, I picked Anonymous as I don't know what the other things are!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback Eileen, I'm really glad you are getting a few flavours too, it's a great feeling isn't it! Long may it continue to grow.

      Delete
  6. these are good news....I'm very glad for you.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so interesting. I'd never heard of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi. I hope you'll continue reading.

      Delete
  8. Great post, I have not been following you. Do you have anosmia or one of the olfactory disorders? I know a great deal about both congenital and non-congenital anosmia (had to wrote a research essay on it and my sisters ex has congenital anosmia), but some of the other disorders are very new to me. Very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Iman, I have Anosmia in my right nostril and Parosmia in my left. It happened from a head injury just over a year ago. I would be really interested to read your essay can you give me a link on the group page if you don't mind me reading it. Thanks for your comments and following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting I am sorry for the late reply I have taken a bit of a step back from the internet (school work is never ending). I did not publish my esssy online but here is a copy of it if you want to read it (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B54LgJoahO8pVnVOVU5hU29uMHM/view?usp=sharing)

      Delete
  10. Hi Debbie, thank you for sharing! I definitely learned something from your post. Can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog is very interesting !I gave you "+" in google+ I added you to my circles on Google , and I will be following your activity :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC their website is(www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete