Sunday 11 October 2015

Things I took for granted.

Quote from Wikipedia: Anosmia 'The inability to perceive odour '
Quote from me: 'I can't smell bugger all'

I went for a walk around the estate this afternoon to post a letter that said 'you should be on the electoral register but if you don't that's ok we'll just charge you £100 for being a naughty girl'! That cleared my head!
However, while I was walking I realised that sometimes I forget there is such a thing as smell, that the world doesn't actually smell at all, and everybody's nose is just a vessel to breath through.
I think the world doesn't smell of anything because there is nothing to smell.
Food doesn't smell of anything, cut grass doesn't smell of anything flowers don't smell of anything, and perfume, what's the point in that if you can't smell it? 
It's only when I look at these things that I realise they do smell, especially the things I've just described, as they are, or were nice smells. It's just that I can't smell them. Thing is I can't smell horrible things either like sour milk or dare I say it sweat, or bad breath, but even that would be OK because it would be a smell!
I know that this sounds like I'm feeling sorry for myself, I suppose I am, but that's how I feel at the moment. I need to let it out, to explain it even of its just to myself and maybe people who would be interested in reading this?

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely with you on all this. With Christmas coming, Anosmia/Parosmia is an absolute SOD. Keep the Blog going - and I hope you (and I, I suppose) get that revelatory first sniff of smell and taste returning that I've read about in other corners of the Web. I'm told it could happen - so I try to believe it! Regards, Simon in Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Simon. Wouldn't that be the best Christmas present ever!

      Delete
    2. Hi Simon, I accidentally removed your comment by accident, what I was trying to do was tell you about my Facebook page called Beating Anosmia, if you search for it you should find it. I'd love you to get involved with chat etc. Or you ca find it on www.facebook.com/debbieananosmic thanks.

      Delete
  2. Your quote is so true, as I get older I wonder how i survive in this world without a sense of smell. I forget at times well most times that the bread or whatever is cooking gives off a scent. As you said to be able smell the bad smells would be welcomed just for a bit. Then I wonder if I can do this will I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy I know what you mean, I've had Anosmia for just over a year now, and I now have Parosmia as well, but, I don't know if you've read my most recent post, I have got a few things back since then that aren't unpleasant, so don't give up hope. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC their website is(www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete